Patient Preparation Instructions
Welcome to our clinic. Before you arrive for your thermogram, certain protocols must be followed in order to ensure that your images reflect accurate information. Please read the following instructions and strictly adhere to them.
- Nil by mouth for 3 hours prior to imaging.
- No prolonged sun exposure (especially sunburn) to the body areas being imaged 5 days prior to the exam.
- No use of deodorants, lotions, creams, powders, or makeup (no facial makeup for full body or upper body scans) the day of the exam.
- No shaving of the areas to be imaged the day of the exam.
- No treatment (chiropractic, acupuncture, TENS, physical therapy, electrical muscle stimulation, ultrasound, hot or cold pack use) or physical stimulation of the areas to be imaged for 24 hours before the exam.
- No exercise 4 hours prior to the exam.
- If bathing, it must be no closer than 1 hour before the exam.
- If you are using pain medications, please avoid taking them for 4 hours prior to the examination. You must consult with the prescribing physician for his or her consent prior to any change in medication use such as this.
- You must wait at least 4 weeks after having a fine needle or core biopsy of the breast before a thermogram can be performed.
- You must wait at least 8 weeks after having a lumpectomy or surgical biopsy of the breast before a thermogram can be performed.
- If you have had any surgical procedure within the last 12 weeks, please notify our office before coming in for your appointment.
- If you are scheduled for a breast thermogram, the same protocols above applies along with no physical stimulation of the breasts for 24 hours before the exam, and if you are nursing please try to nurse as far from 1 hour prior to the exam as possible.
Please note: During the examination, you will be disrobed (from the waist up for breast exams, and buttocks exposed for lower body exams) during part of the examination for both imaging and to allow for the surface temperature of the body to equilibrate with the room. A female technician is provided for all our female patients.
If you have any further questions, please contact our office.
Thank you for choosing our clinic and we look forward to meeting you.